Good afternoon! Are you feeling any kind of insecurity about the current Canadian Economy? I sure am. Layoffs are everywhere! I am absolutely grateful to have my job still. I am noticing however that money is so tight, there is nothing extra. I’m really not sure what I would do in an emergency actually…..which is a pretty stressful feeling.
I’m working on a plan to make this situation a little more bearable, so I thought I would share it with you 🙂
I am creating a very minimal budget and way of living:
- Cutting out expenses I don’t need
- no more lattes or eating out
- not going to entertainment events, or outings (watching movies on Netflix is way cheaper! 🙂 )
- trying to cut expenses I have, even though they are minimal already
- Using what I have at home before buying anything new
- Cooking at home and making freezer meals
- Trying to sell extra things I own to recoup some cash
- Only buying essential things on sale, or using coupons – being frugal
- Buy in bulk!!! – I like Bulk Barn (saves on packaging too!)
- Pushing off some expenses, and paying them later such as hair color or cut (non-essential, but still needs to be done)
- STICKING TO THE BUDGET!!! This is a big one. Unplanned expenses kill the budget (put that latte down!)
- Saving for emergencies – this is next to impossible right now, but still a good idea
- Trying to earn extra money through a second job – in this case it’s building my Juice Plus (Facebook Page Here) and Epicure Selections (Facebook Page Here) businesses
- Residual income is perfect for savings or paying debt
- I can eat healthy at a discount!
If it’s not in the budget, I don’t get to buy it!
The plus side to all of this is that I’m practicing some wonderful tools and techniques to building a better life. Having a solid budget and sticking to it is a vital step to creating financial security. Learning how to save money, live efficiently and somewhat frugally are important steps to preparing for the things you do want to spent money on (and have budgeted for). IE: New car tires or upgrades, a vacation with your family, those expensive lattes we cut out above ; )
What is your plan? Share your comments and suggestions below 🙂